10.18.2018

The Shining Face of God

My mom was having a mini crisis.....she was scheduled to have breakfast with the new VP of her company and some other folks.  It was going to be the first time she had met this woman and she had heard LOTS of things about this lady, and I don't mind telling you that most were not good.  Mom had some apprehension, some nervousness, and some discontent.  

We were on FaceTime and discussing the situation.  My mom was concerned about how this woman would receive her and what she would think of her.  She was concerned that this woman was going to make a decision on the type of employee she was based on this one meeting and her decision could impact mom’s future with this company.  She was worried about the impression she would make. 

Now I also don’t mind telling you that my mom and I share a trait – everything, and I mean everything, that we are thinking and feeling is written on our face!  It’s hard for us to hide when we are happy, sad, angry, or think you are an idiot.  As I was talking to my mom it was written all over her face how she felt about the situation.  I knew she wanted to make a good impression and I also know that my mother loves Jesus.  I wanted to make sure that she was reflecting the love of God when she spoke and looked at these people. 

I thought about something our pastor had preached on several weeks ago.  He told the story in Exodus 34 where Moses receives the tablets and commandments from the Lord.  When Moses came down from the mountainside his face was so radiant with the glory of the Lord that they had to put a veil over him because it hurt to look at him.  Could you imagine the scene?  Here comes Moses who no one has seen for the last 40 days and nights because he has been with God.  And now here he is and they can’t even stand to look at him!  God’s power and glory and love and graciousness in not leaving these people to die is written all over Moses’ face! 

That was what I wanted these people to see when they looked at my mom.  I wanted them to see a woman who loves God, who is compassionate and gentle in her spirit, a woman who prays without ceasing for those she loves and even those she doesn’t.  I told mom to remember the story of Moses and to pray that when these people talked with her and looked at her, that all they saw was the glory of the Lord on her face. I also talked to her about remembering her worth in the eyes of the Lord and whose she was – but that’s another blog for another day….

I don’t know what you are facing or what set of giants you are about to meet but I do know you are not alone.  I know that the love of the Father can shine brighter than any circumstance you have.  Maybe you are meeting people who will be deciding your future, maybe you are meeting someone who has hurt you, maybe you are just meeting strangers along the way….either way I encourage you to show the glory of the Lord on your face.  Let God’s power, glory and love shine so bright that people have to look away and say “where can I get that radiance”.


No comments:

Post a Comment